Whether you’re on a small lake with no signal for miles, or out to sea, having a reliable communication device to communicate with friends, coworkers and even emergency response teams can be pivotal. Imagine how much better a fishing trip would be with a satellite phone capable of meeting far beyond your communication needs.
Below are 5 benefits to having a satellite device while on your fishing trips.
- Communication / Data – Like ordinary cell phone companies, satellite phone companies come with data plans that include everything from push-to-talk & texting to voice calling and email. But unlike basic cell companies, these satellite devices work virtually anywhere in the world.
- Software Solutions – Most satellite providers offer different software programs designed to help you monitor schools of fish or communicate with other vessels. For example, Iridium’s fishing software can help increase the speed of finding fish and reporting a catch, maximize revenue through real-time price checking, enhance private communications between sister vessels fishing together and so much more.
- Stay on Top of the Weather – Get satellite data showing you exactly where storms are brewing. Most satellite networks facilitate the collection and transmission of environmental data and up-to-the-minute weather updates to improve safety and your overall fishing trip.
- Crew Welfare – Stay in touch with your crew whether they are on another vessel or back onshore. Provide your team with the ability to stay in touch with their loved ones.
- S.0.S. – Usually fishermen have this on lock. But adding a satellite phone to your arsenal in case of an emergency can only help.
There are several satellite phone and satellite internet providers including Iridium, Inmarsat, Thuraya, just to name a few. Do your research on which is the best network for the areas your fish the most. No matter what, you’ll realize that having a satellite phone is a must for any savvy fisherman.